North America / United States / MD / Columbia
Technology & Engineering
#: 78064-en_US / 78064
Data Engineer, Operations (Altryx) – 78064
Technology and Engineering – USA Columbia, Maryland
Nielsen Media tracks the media-consumption habits of homes across the country. Our data paints a rich portrait of the American Audience. As a pioneer and industry leader in audience measurement for more than half a century, we take pride in our technology and processes, and we are constantly searching for new ways to advance our legacy of innovation.
The Operations Data Engineer is part of the Tools & Technology Operations Transformation team and provides a critical role in the organization's journey to machine learning and artificial intelligence by developing, optimizing and maintaining our technology systems and tools. Researches and analyzes basic and complex issues. Familiar with AWS cloud services, analytics application system support, scaling, automation and integration. May lead and direct the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
The technical lead will support the following core responsibilities, including, but not limited to:
Maintains and improves the overall technological architecture of the US Media Operations analytics platform
- Strong conceptual thinking/strategic/analytical/problem solving skills
- Manage complexities, large scope initiatives, conflicting priorities, ambiguity well
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing processes and architecture for greater scalability, high availability
Support and deliver integrated solutions
- Guides project teams on technical best practices related to data flow and reuse, design practices
- Mentors and coaches project teams, specifically with design reviews
- Provides the team a roadmap for implementing solutions that meets the needs for automation, interoperability, reuse, and ease of maintenance
Shares responsibility with Tools & Technology team for building reusable and scalable components
- Support Operations Transformation teams to execute key strategies including building and optimizing operations processes and grow Operations’ ML/AI capabilities.
- Testing and Data Validation
US Media Operations Analytics System Administration (includes Alteryx, Tableau, Postgres, S3, data connections, API and other supported system integrations/interfaces)
- Design/develop automated system administration tools, including monitoring and auto recovery
- Change management including security, infrastructure and application environment configuration changes, upgrades and patches
- Performance monitoring, tuning and server instances and AWS account management
- Create and manage applicable identity and access management settings, roles, data sources and data connections. Develop automated solutions to manage users and content to meet business usage guidelines.
- Manage and support migration of objects (dimensions, measures, hierarchies, reports, workbooks, dashboards), from development to production environments.
- Investigate platform related issues and escalate to vendors, infrastructure, security when needed.
- Develop and document standards/best practices for development and administration of the US Media Operations Analytics platform
- Ability to architect cloud based application server solutions designed for high availability.
- AWS knowledge and experience, specifically EMR, IAM, EC2, S3, Lambda, Terraform cloud formation, autoscaling.
- Experience working with Postgres- required, SQL Server, Oracle, mongo.
- Expertise in server platform sizing, troubleshooting, tuning & disaster recovery.
- Experience with Alteryx, Tableau software with understanding of server architecture and administration.
- Experience in Linux, specifically Red Hat variants.
- Working knowledge of REST API solutions and design
- Strong analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting capabilities.
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Columbia,Maryland
Secondary Locations: Remote, , ,