North America / United States / NY / New York City
#: 95661-en_US / 95661
Director, Identity Data Science – 95661
Data Science – USA New York, New York
Nielsen brings to bear the market’s most powerful proprietary data assets, and together we are helping the world’s biggest brands make better and faster media and marketing decisions. We are permanently disrupting the landscape of audience measurement. For more information, please visit nielsen.com, or follow us: @Nielsen
The Nielsen Identity team is part of the Nielsen Media Data Science division. Our Identity Engine connects the various devices of individual users and groups consumers into households. This allows Nielsen to create a holistic view of consumers across all channels and devices – including display, video, audio, offline, mobile and smart TVs – enabling content providers and marketers to measure exposure, engagement, and conversion at scale. Our output feeds into a number of other Nielsen products and services.
This position reports to the SVP, Identity Data Science. You will have an oversight and coordination role in the creation of algorithms, analyses, and machine learning models designed to maximize the value of our data, all while playing an instrumental role in related products and services. You will lead a team of seven Data Scientists and Analysts, review and critique their contributions, mentor and coach them to perform to the best of their ability, and ensure the team delivers critical data products on time. You will work closely with the Product team that is in charge of the strategic positioning and roadmap planning for the Identity System, as well as the Engineering team that puts your team’s models, algorithms, and insights to use in production. This role requires deep technical expertise along with practical project implementation experience.
What will I do?
- Plan, coordinate, and oversee the work of the Data Science team responsible for the Nielsen Identity System, fostering a culture of collaboration and productivity
- Design, create, and maintain sophisticated algorithms, modeling techniques, and data mining strategies to build solutions that optimize for quality, accuracy, and performance
- Develop approaches for the evaluation and monitoring of data and graph health metrics, as well as conducting experiments to improve the quality of our outputs
- Support the product team in solving complex analytical challenges and evolving the strategic vision for the Nielsen Identity System
- Support the engineering team with implementing data products in automated pipelines at scale, using technologies such as AWS, Spark, Presto, Scala, Python, SQL, Git, and Airflow
Is this for me?
- Advanced degree in computer science, statistics, operational research, STEM, or similar
- Five or more years work experience in data science and analytics
- Experience in leading data science teams
- Proficiency in SQL and Python (or similar) for data analysis and software development
- Excellent communication skills, ability to explain complex problems to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to see the big picture and think strategically
- Good vibes, integrity, and good work ethic
- Proven track record of developing machine learning models and deploying them to production
- Experience with Git (ideally GitLab), Apache Spark and AWS products such as S3 and EMR
- Experience with data science tools such as Airflow, MLlib, MLflow, Tensorflow or PyTorch
- Experience with graph theory problems, ideally GraphX, GraphFrames, and the Pregel API
- Experience in identity, media, or marketing analytics, including campaign measurement, cross-platform deduplication and lookalike modeling or experience in online media and the ad tech ecosystem
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: New York,New York
Secondary Locations: , , ,