North America / Canada / NS / Halifax
Technology & Engineering
#: 84253-en_US / 84253
Senior SQL Server Database Administrator – 84253
Technology and Engineering – Canada Halifax, Nova Scotia
Are you ready to revolutionize entertainment?
Explore and Discover Nielsen! With offices located in 110 countries, we are a global independent measurement and big data analytics company focused on your future.
Gracenote, a Nielsen Company is the leading provider of entertainment metadata and media recognition technology that powers discovery features for top TV, music, sports and automotive platforms.
We presently looking for a Senior SQL Server Database Administrator to support Gracenote Sports. This position is part of Global Operations Department’s team, where DBA’s are responsible for database infrastructures in multiple geographical zones.
The Sr. Database Administrator is responsible for collaborating on back-end design and implementation of Gracenote database services including traditional OLAP, DW and big-data solutions.
The Sr. DBA role blends administrative and development activities with SQL and No-SQL systems. Must be willing to experiment with new database technologies. The candidate will work with other team members to maintain and develop production systems, develop data models, and implement models in application databases and production data warehouses.
We are looking for a candidate that has MS SQL Server RDBMS experience and that has started the move towards NoSQL environment like Cassandra and/or MongoDB. These technologies are part of Gracenote’s strategy moving forward, so the willingness to become an expert on those is key for this position
Qualified candidates must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be team players, and be able to interact with multiple global teams across multiple time zones. The selected candidate will participate in a 24×7 on-call rotation.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Participate in the installation, upgrades, configuration, and patching of new and existing RDBMS infrastructure, and recommend new strategies when appropriate
- Implement and tune queries developed by other members, and work with QA teams to test and verify solutions
- Work in pre-production environments to develop new strategies and architectures for high-availability, monitoring, database security, and backup & recovery for large-scale databases
- Day-to-day management activities of production databases for online system operations including monitoring, troubleshooting, backup, restore, change management, and storage management
- Participate in planning and design of the database architecture for large scale, production-quality services
FOR THIS ROLE WE ARE LOOKING FOR INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent is preferred
- 4-8 years MS SQL Server database administration experience
- MS SQL Server versions 2014 and 2019 preferred
- Experience with backup and recovery
- Replication and mirroring experience
- Powershell scripting for automation
- SSIS and SSRS experience
- Day to day user management
- Space monitoring and management
- Production environment/operational experience
- Performance tuning and troubleshooting
Nice to have
- SSAS experience
- Working knowledge of Hadoop is a plus
- NoSQL database experience (MongoDB and/or Cassandra) experience is a plus
- Oracle experience version 11g and 18c or above
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Halifax,Nova Scotia
Secondary Locations: CA – Emeryville, , ,